Your Rehabilitated HR Pro is turning the BIG 3-0 this weekend! That’s right, In two days I will officially be a grown up. It’s a milestone for many of us that we finally feel like real adults instead of pretending to be in our 20s. Here are some of my accomplishments from the last decade…
- I gave Corporate the finger and struck out on my own. Still scary as hell but I am loving every minute of it.
- I completed a MBA. Yes, this also means I am in substantial debt for this next decade but boy do I feel smart!
- I was lucky enough to land a husband that doesn’t complain when I don’t shave my legs for weeks on end in the winter. He’s such a cutie too!
- I am finally comfortable with my body. Screw you double Ds. I’ll covet my training bra that still fits from high school. That’s right… didn’t need it until high school!
- I no longer have the desire to freeze my ass off on Halloween only to look cute in the latest costume that screams slut.
- I have lived through three natural disasters and epidemics while traveling abroad. Alcohol was key to this success.
- Eliminated those in my life that were taking much more than they were giving. Ditch the drama queens.
- I purchased real furniture. No more of that crap that looked like it survived three fraternity initiations.
- The experience of negotiating a raise because I damn well deserved it.
- Learned the importance of not charging more on my credit card than I could pay off at the end of the month. My closet was not happy with this decision.
- The resolve and discipline to kick a bad habit, or two, or three…still working on 4- 100.
- Found ways to cope when enduring the millionth baby shower I was forced to attend. I now simply speak about my dog. If everyone else can talk about little Billy’s poops I will let them know about Rufus humping the cat. (okay, okay…. so his name really isn’t Rufus and I promise the cat is fine. Don’t call PETA)
- I discovered who I really was and what I wanted out of life.
My 20s have taught me so much but most importantly, humility. I know how small I am in this big world but I truly believe I can conquer it. I’m looking forward to another decade of accomplishments and honestly believe that my 30s will be the best years of my life!